Monday, September 10, 2007

Glamorous windows!


Well, this had me absolutely goggle-eyed with amazement. It's the window display at Readings bookstore in Carlton. It wasn't there at the time of the launch but has magically appeared since, when I wasn't looking. When I saw it this afternoon, I sat down on the bench outside with my mouth open like a goldfish and just gaped. Amazing.

And below is a little picture of my drawing room with a whole bunch of large, expensive TV equipment crammed into it. The ABC are doing a short segment about graphic novels for their Sunday Arts program (date TBA), and have interviewed Eddie Campbell, Shaun Tan and me. The interview was a lot of fun - can't wait to see how it all comes out.

The black box on a long stalk is a very impressive light which imitates daylight. Ordinarily the light in my studio is quite poor, so things looked altogether different when it was filled with pretend sunshine. I am now coveting this device. Actually, it looks a bit like a pair of alien creatures are cautiously inspecting my desk for signs of earthling life.


Just a few more days until the Brisbane Writers Festival, where I'll be presenting quite a few times, on panels and solo, as part of their graphic novel program. Looking forward to it very much indeed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, wow...

That's so cool! I wonder if the posters will be for sale at some stage...

scootergrrl said...

Whooo hoooo! *clapping*

spacedlaw said...

Didn't you have a pang of "wow! It's for real!" then ?
That must have been quite a shock.

Nicki Greenberg said...

Yes, absolutely - I was completely gobsmacked - and not just because I'm mesmerised by anything shiny (though I am that, too).

Got a giggle today though when it eventually sank in that the window dressers had hung the posters back-to-front - Gatsby is supposed to be on the left (as he is on the cover) so he looks at Daisy. Never mind - the overall effect is so gorgeous that even I didn't take note of this slip!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicki

I finished Gatsby this morning and absolutely adored it. Very nice double page colour spread in today's Brisbane Courier Mail as well. Top show.

Cheers

Daren

Nicki Greenberg said...

Hey, thanks Daren! Much appreciated. Only two more sleeps til the festival - though from what I hear, you and Eddie will be already well into it on the Wednesday night!

Cheers

Nicki

Anonymous said...

all wonderful!